Honestly, if I didn't write this today, I can't say for sure I would have been able to forgive myself. 'Cos I have definitely not been on point this year with Fashi.
That's it. No resolution or resolve to do better in the New Year here. Let me just get this one out. Then we'll see about the next one.
So, I figured I share some thoughts. As you were.
- Quote that is kicking my ass: "I judge you unfortunate because you have never lived through misfortune. You have passed through life without an opponent— no one can ever know what you are capable of, not even you."
- The James Bond classic "We Have All The Time In The World" has been stuck on replay in my brain. Which is tough, as we absolutely don't have all the time in the world.
- For real...we don't. See how December flew by in 7 mins.
- If you feel like you've been effing around, you've been effing around. Time to stop effing around. I definitely have been.
- That was really just for me.
- Messi and Di Maria deserved the World Cup. Good for them. Now, next time France or anybody plays Argentina, they should kill them. Why the vitriol, Chidi? Let's just say it was not bueno for this "brother" when I visited Buenos Aires. I will never root for Argentina.
- Qatar rolling into 2023 like Meg Thee Stallion. The jury is out, and they have spoken.
- Just so we are clear, Meg The Stallion won. Deservedly so. Vindication.
- See how Ghana has become the perennial New Years bacchanal.
- I didn't say anything about Nigeria. Did you hear me say anything about Nigeria? Nobody said anything o.
- The worst thing you can do is join a gym or sign up for a training/weight loss program next week. Stop looking at me like that, you know I know you know you'll burn out by Jan 16. And now you have to pay the gym for 12 months...of no usage.
- Instead, add/remove/tweak a habit. Something small. Doable. Like, I don't know, do a couple pushups or squats b4 you brush your teeth. I said before, not after.
- Repeat after me: "I cannot keep harmony with nature if I go to pieces, every time someone splashes some water on me." On more again. Now practice it.
- If your spouse can't stand you for ten years straight, and you end up being president of the US after, then ok. I am not saying it was worth it. Or that you should give her/him reason to want to dropkick you for a full decade. I am not saying piss off your spouse for ten years so you can achieve your dreams. I am just saying...ok then.
- I have come to terms that I am now an Elder. I stopped fighting it a couple of minutes ago.
- The AARP aka Elder People magazine is actually quite good.
- And, the folks who pay attention to Elders like me with products that we love...shut up and take my money. On your way to billionairehood.
- Elder = metabolized experiences. Crystallized intelligence. Dot connectors.
- No, I did not come up with that. Props to Chip Conley for the wisdom.
- If you are great at something, don't be afraid to say you are great at it. Maybe once or twice a year. Just don't be all badass about beating it into our heads on a daily basis...especially if your badassery may be dubious upon deeper scrutiny.
- Never ever confuse education with intelligence. Or confuse wealth with intelligence. Most importantly, never ever confuse social media savagery with intelligence.
- Unless you are Greta Thunberg. Savage.
- If you are feeling imposter syndrome, that's good. That means you give a $#!+. Embrace it.
- Your next day at the job? Consider that the beginning of the end of your career at that company. You do have a plan in place, right? Right?
- Find you a word of the year. An anchor word. That you whisper to yourself when stuff is good, and when stuff is bad. And in between. My 2022 word was "remix".
- 2023? "Lighthouse". I'll explain another time.
- The best way to scratch your social media itch? Write it, and post it. Then 5 mins later, screen cap it, and delete it. Unless it really needs to be seen. Because most social media posts have no business being seen.
- Some of them will be gems though that should be seen but won't because "the algorithm" be doing what "the algortihm" be doing.
- 2023 will be just as good and as crazy as 2022, on balance. So, take it one day at a time, not one year at a time. That's it. Take what the day gives you and roll with it.
Happy New Year. See you on the other side.
Fashi Mindset Newsletter
Join the newsletter to receive the latest updates in your inbox.